I think there are many different answers to this question. Here are some of the top few most common answers:
- It is hard to find time to practice.
- It is hard to stay motivated.
- It is hard to get my fingers to cooperate.
- I don’t know how to read music.
- I can’t play by ear.
- I don’t have any talent.
- I am confused about what the notes mean.
- I’m not sure if I am doing it right.
- I don’t like my teacher.
- I am too old to learn.
What do these all have in common? They are all excuses that can be fixed. Yes, anyone can learn to play an instrument. Very few people are actually so bad that they shouldn’t learn. Usually it is our own attitudes and perceptions that are the problem. Next post I will share what some of the real issues are that prevent us from learning, and how to correct them all in just minutes a day.